Makeup has become a huge part of people’s lives. From hiding blemishes to helping some people gain confidence, it plays a pivotal role. Makeup brushes are an integral part of makeup. While you require them quite often, people neglect how important it is to clean them. Raise your hand if you are someone who hardly ever cleans your brushes, and be honest about it! We all are aware that we should be cleaning your makeup brushes, but sometimes it seems nearly impossible to find the time to do it. Imagine going for makeup but ending up with a fungal infection. That’s right! Studies have found that your makeup brushes could be dirtier than your toilet seat.
A study published in the Journal of Cosmetic Science found that makeup accessories are subject to many bacterial contamination due to their exposure to many surfaces. Makeup brushes get exposed to pollution, dead skin cells, and dust, which can lead to several skin problems. Hence, it is essential to disinfect the bacteria by cleaning them properly. So, how do you clean your makeup brushes?
Tips to clean your makeup brushes properly
1. You need a few things in order to clean your brushes properly. You need shampoo or soap, a brush cleaner, and a brush-cleaning mat that will help you clean your makeup brushes and get rid of bacteria breeding on them.
2. Squirt a few drops of soap liquid on a brush-wetting mat and wet the bristles of the makeup brush with lukewarm water. Now, use circular motions to clean the brush and get rid of all impurities.
3. If you don’t have a brush cleaning mat, fill a bowl with lukewarm water and swirl the brush tip in it to clean it.
4. Wash them until the water runs clear from the brush.
5. Squeeze the water out of the bristles of the brush gently. Avoid squeezing it too hard as it will cause the bristles to fall out.
6. Now, lay the brushes flat on a towel and get rid of the excess moisture with a clean and dry paper towel.
7. Let them air dry for a few hours or days and store them properly.
What happens if you don’t clean your makeup brushes?
If the tools you are using to apply makeup are filthy, you may end up getting breakouts that won’t budge easily. Not just breakouts, there are several skin issues that can occur if you don’t clean your makeup brushes. Studies have shown that you could get a staph infection, pink eye, and even wrinkles sooner. Dirty makeup brushes can lead to the accumulation of dead skin cells, dirt, oil, and unwanted bacteria that makes your skin more prone to infections. And mind you, not cleaning your makeup brushes can even lead to bugs breeding on your brushes. So, these should be reasons enough to get up and put those makeup brushes in some lukewarm water.
It is extremely simple to clean your makeup brushes, but you need to make sure you clean them regularly to avoid skin infections. Also, avoid sharing your makeup brushes with anyone, especially during the time or weather when skin infections are more common.