Thinning hair and excess hair shedding are some of the common hair problems that people face. Air pollution, coupled with stress, are some inevitable factors that make your hair suffer. While stress leads to the problem, hair shedding can add to the stress as well, which makes things even more complicated. What if we tell you that there’s one quick remedy that might work wonders for your hair? Turns out, onion serum is great for hair growth.
Studies have shown that onion can help you get thick and long hair. While there are many products available in the market, making it at home can be good for you. The key ingredient here is onion serum.
How does onion serum work for hair growth?
The key ingredient in onion serum is onion extract, which contains several nutrients that help in hair growth. It is rich in sulfur, antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals that are good for hair growth and overall hair health. Onion serum will help nourish hair follicles, strengthen your hair, and even improve blood circulation to the scalp. Let’s look at the benefits of onion serum for hair in detail:
1. Reduces hair fall
The first step to improving hair health is reducing hair fall. Loaded with antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties, onion serum can help ward off infections and reduce hair loss. It also helps tackle problems such as dandruff or scalp infections. It also strengthens the hair roots, which helps reduce hair fall and breakage.
Also Read: 4 things you shouldn’t do when you have a hair fall problem
2. Adds shine to your hair
Using onion serum regularly helps increase hair shine and make your hair lustrous and beautiful. It also contains properties that help improve the health of your hair shaft, making it look smoother and more lustrous.
3. Promotes a healthy scalp
A healthy scalp manifests healthy hair and applying onion serum can help you do that. It contains antimicrobial properties that help keep the scalp clean and free from bacteria and fungus. Plus, it helps reduce scalp problems like dandruff and itchiness. Applying onion serum can help maintain a healthy scalp for hair growth.
4. Helps in hair growth
As mentioned, onion extract is rich in sulphur, essential for the production of collagen – a protein required to stimulate hair growth. It also helps nourish hair follicles, improve blood circulation to the scalp, and stimulate hair roots – all of which help in hair growth.
Also Read: Cinnamon for thicker hair: A magic ingredient to boost hair volume
How to prepare onion serum for hair at home?
Here’s a hassle-free way to prepare onion serum for hair growth at home.
- 1 medium-sized onion
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon castor oil
- Essential oil of your choice
1. Peel the onion and cut it into pieces.
2. Blend chopped onions in a blender to make a smooth puree.
3. Extract the juice from the onion juice using a cotton cloth or a fine mesh strainer. Squeeze out as much juice as possible.
4. Take a small bowl and pour the juice into it. Add coconut oil, castor oil, and a few drops of essential oil for fragrance.
5. Mix it well and transfer the mixture to another clean container.
6. Apply the serum directly to your scalp using your fingers or a dropper.
7. Gently massage the serum into your scalp for a few minutes to increase circulation.
8. Once you have applied the serum to your scalp, run your fingers through the length of your hair to spread the serum.
9. Leave the serum on your scalp and hair for about 30 minutes before rinsing it off with normal water.
10. Use mild shampoo to remove the onion smell.
11. Use the serum twice every week to stimulate hair growth.
If you’re convinced that onion serum might work for your hair, make sure you do a patch test before applying it all over your scalp and hair. Also, don’t forget to check with your doctor to avoid any complications.