Winter is our favorite season! After all, it’s all about layering clothes, snuggling into a warm bed, and wrapping your palms around a steaming mug of hot chocolate. But as we turn to winter, with all of its wonderful things, there is one issue that can actually make you hate the season. Yes, you guessed it right—dry skin! Dry skin is common during the cold winter months, and it can make your skin feel itchy, rough, and flaky. So, if you’ve already started noticing dryness on your face, hands or body, fret not and try these home remedies for dry skin.
Health Shots spoke to beauty industry veteran Dr Blossom Kochhar, Chairperson of the Blossom Kochhar Group of Companies, to find out home remedies to cure dry sin.
5 home remedies to get rid of dry skin
1. Milk lotion
The milk’s lactic acid content helps exfoliate dead skin cells and lock in moisture, while glycerine adds a hydrating touch to the mixture. Here’s how to prepare it:
- To prepare milk lotion, warm a cup of milk until it’s lukewarm.
- Add 1 teaspoon of glycerine, ¼ teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda, and ¼ teaspoon of borax to the milk.
- Stir the mixture thoroughly until all the ingredients have dissolved.
- Allow it to sit for an hour to cool down.
- Once it’s cooled, gently apply this milk lotion to the dry areas of your skin, including your face.
- After a while, wash it off with lukewarm water.
This natural cleanser will help you cleanse your skin gently without stripping it of its natural oils, leaving your skin supple and radiant. Here’s how to prepare it:
- For a refreshing cleansing experience that leaves your skin supple and radiant, create a homemade cleanser.
- Put a container on gas and add 12 tablespoons of white vaseline, 4 tablespoons of baby oil, and 1 tablespoon of beeswax.
- Let all the ingredients melt together.
- Once done, remove it from the gas and add a few drops of rose essence to the mixture for a delightful fragrance.
- Transfer the mixture into a jar, and use it to clean your face.
- To remove the cleanser, use a damp cloth or sponge.
3. Hydrating moisturiser
Hydration is key to combating dry skin. Rosewater’s natural anti-inflammatory properties, combined with glycerine’s moisturizing effects, make this homemade moisturizer a fantastic addition to your skincare routine. Here’s how to prepare it:
- Mix ¾ cup of rose water with ¼ cup of glycerine, 1 teaspoon of vinegar, and ¼ teaspoon of honey.
- Store this blend in a bottle, and use it regularly after cleansing.
- Apply it to your skin, focusing on the dry areas, to keep your skin moisturized and refreshed.
4. Banana face mask
Consider a rejuvenating banana face mask to deeply nourish your skin. Bananas are rich in potassium and vitamins that help replenish your skin, while honey and yogurt offer moisture and gentle exfoliation. Here’s how to prepare it:
- Mash a ripe banana and blend it with a mixture of honey and yogurt.
- This creates a hydrating and nourishing paste that you can apply to your face.
- Allow the mask to sit for about 20 minutes, or until it dries. Then, rinse it off with lukewarm water.
- This nourishing mask should be used at least once a week to maintain well-hydrated and rejuvenated skin.
5. Overnight cream
For deep and lasting hydration, prepare an overnight cream. This overnight treatment ensures that your skin receives long-lasting moisture while you sleep. Here’s how to prepare it:
Select Topics of your interest and let us customize your feed.
- Mix one tablespoon of milk cream with a few drops of glycerine and two drops of rose water.
- Thoroughly combine these ingredients and apply the cream to your entire face, neck, and hands before going to bed.
- Leave the cream on overnight, and in the morning, rinse your skin with lukewarm water and follow up with a splash of cold water.
Also read: Beauty benefits of avocado oil: A natural remedy for dry skin and hair
Some other tips to keep in mind to get rid of dry skin
- Do not use an astringent or a toner containing alcohol.
- Avoid going in the sun, harsh winds and hot baths.
- Do not use medicated soap. Use creamy and soft beauty soaps or face washes.
- Always wash your face with cold water and not hot water, which will make your skin further dry.
To keep your dry skin soft and nourished, try these remedies and remember these tips!